Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
What is EndNote Online and Who Should Use It?
EndNote Online is a free, web-based program that stores and organizes citations, and enables you to import citations directly into a Word document. But to produce papers you must use the correct combination of operating systems, word processors, and browsers.
To make sure your current operating system and word processor are compatible with EndNote Online, click here.
Step 1: Create an EndNote Online Account
EndNote is a program that stores and organizes citations, and enables you to import citations directly into a Word document. EndNote Online is the web-based version of EndNote and is available for free.
Sign Up for an Account
- To set up an EndNote Online account, access EndNote Web at https://myendnoteweb.com/.
- Choose Register to sign up for an account.
Complete the required fields and click Register again to finish setting up your account.
Note: your password must have at least 8 characters, with at least one number, one alpha-numeric character and one special character.
Step 2: Staying Organized and Sharing
Group your references with paper or subject names so that you have easy access:
- Click the Organize tab at the top of the screen.
- Select Manage My Groups
- At the bottom of the list, click the New Group button.
- Enter the name you want to give to the new group.
- Click OK.
Moving Citations to a Group
- Click the My References tab, if it is not already chosen, and choose the folder within My References where the citations are currently stored. For example, imported citations are placed in the [Unfiled] folder. All My References is just what it says. If you can't find your reference anywhere else, look there
- Place a checkmark at the citations you want to move, or click the All button.
- Click the Add to Group drop-down box and choose the folder to which you want to move the citations.
Sharing, Renaming, and Deleting Groups
- Click the Organize and select Manage My Groups.
- To share, find the correct group within My Groups and click the Manage Sharing button.
Follow the prompt and enter collaborators' email addresses -- one address per line. To discontinue sharing, simply uncheck the Share box for that Group.
- To Rename or Delete a Group, click the corresponding buttons and follow the prompts.