- Inside China Today
- "Constantly updated news and information about China provided by EIN News."
- People's Daily (China)
- The online newspaper covers "China, business, world, science, education, sports news and commentaries." There is an English edition.
- Newspapers and News Sources from China, Republic [Taiwan]
- Provides links to newspapers and other local, regional, and national news sources.
- Foreign Press Center/Japan (FPCJ)
- This site "provides Press Briefing - a handy report which gives up-to-the-minute background information reflected in the editorials of major Japanese newspapers, in plain and concise form, on news items on the Japanese economy, politics, diplomatic activities, society, business, culture, and other matters of topical interest."
- Asahi Shimbun
- "A well respected source with online news summaries."
- The Japan Times
- "Daily news and features on Japan from the most widely read English-language newspaper in Japan."
- Korean Integrated News Database System (KINDS)
- "A comprehensive database of Korean news articles from 2001, operated by the Korea Press Foundation"
- NAVER News Library
- "A free digital archive service for articles published between 1920 and 1999 from three major Korean newspapers: Dong-A ilbo: 1920-1999; Kyunghyang Shinmun: 1946-1999; and Maeil Business Newspaper: 1966-1999."
Thanks to Yu-Hui Chen, University Libraries, University at Albany (SUNY).
Dictionary of Asian Mythology
Online dictionary; entries address the key mythologies of the regions we now call India, China, Tibet, Central Asia, Southeast Asia, and Japan.
Comprehensive website sponsored by the Asia Society; there is a wealth of resources here on arts and culture, business and economics, policy and government, society and history.
Asian Studies (WWW Virtual Library).
Lots of web resources available by categories, region, or country.
Digital South Asia Library.
From Columbia Univ. and the Univ. of Chicago--lots of information, both reference and bibliographical.
East Asia in Cyberspace.
Links to country-specific web guides, maintained by the Council on East Asian Libraries.
East Asian Studies Internet Resources
A high-quality metasite, from the University of Kansas East Asian Library.
Internet East Asian History Sourcebook.
Links to sites, images, texts, etc.
Educational Resources on Asia. Maintained at UCLA, this is a collection of web links divided into eight broad categories.
Japanese American Evacuation and Resettlement Study Digital Archive. The Japanese American Evacuation and Resettlement Study Digital Archive website provides access to this massive collection of research materials through various means, including textual searches and browsing options, visual mechanisms such as GIS tagging and interactive maps, a timeline, and pointers to related resources. The collection comprises daily journals, field reports, life histories, extensive correspondence between staff, evacuees, and others, and secondary research materials collected and compiled by the research staff.
MCLC General On-Line Resources. A spin-off from Modern Chinese Literature and Culture at Ohio State University, this has links to blogs, search engines, media, and other internet cultural and literary sources.
SAWNET: South Asian Women's NETwork. Up-to-date information on women's issues in six South Asian countries. Links are arranged in broad categories such as Who's Who, books, cinema, legal issues, health information, etc.
Interactive Learning Resources for Southeast Asian Languages, Literatures, and Cultures.
Visualizing Global Asia at the Turn of the Twentieth Century
A unit of the MIT Visualizing Cultures project.
Bibliography of Asian Studies
All aspects and areas.
Covers from 1450 to present.
Academic Search Complete
General, all fields.
Essay and General Literature Index
Indexes chapters in books.
From all areas and periods.
Good for full text backfiles of major academic journals, but not for very current topics.
Less specialized, only free sources, but sometimes a "quick and dirty" starting place.
Online Reference Sources
Encyclopedia of Modern Asia
Reference DS 4 .L48 2002 6 vols.
of Asian History.
Reference DS 31 .E53 1988 4 vols.
Encyclopedia of Islam.
Reference DS 37 .E523 12 vols. & indexes
Encyclopedia of Japan
Reference DS 805 .K633 1983 9 vols. + suppl.
Encyclopedia of Contemporary Japanese Culture.
Reference DS 822.5 .E516 2002
Historical Dictionary of Postwar Japan
Reference DS 889 .H569 2011
Encyclopedia of Modern China
Reference DS 755 .E53 2009 4 vols.
Encyclopedia of Contemporary Chinese Culture.
Reference DS 779.23 .E53 2005
Encyclopedia of India
Reference DS 405 .E556 2005 4 vols.
Southeast Asia: A Historical Encyclopedia from Angkor Wat to East Timor
Reference DS 524 .S68 2004 3 vols.